History

History

in

Geschichte

The Deutsche Schule Tokyo Yokohama is the oldest, still existing German international school in East-Asia. The school first opened its doors in a small town house in Yokohama on September 20th 1904. Back then nine girls and boys from three different countries were the first pupils who participated.

The school experienced an exciting history: two fires, the great earthquake in September 1923 and both of the World Wars forced the DSTY to move, build up new school buildings and close the school temporarily. The existence of the school was always unclear.

In September 1953 the “Deutsche Schulverein Tokyo” was once founded. The first school year after World War II started with seventeen pupils on December 1st 1953. In 1960 the first graduates received their Abitur certificates. On November 23rd 1967 the school moved to the new building in Omori. At that time the Deutsche Schule Tokyo became a typical German school, because just like in Germany, the school had its own building with separate classrooms. While the Japanese-German friendship was continually growing, the number of pupils was also highly increasing. The incline forced the school to move again, because of the lack of space. The new building in Nakamachidai/Yokohama was planned.

The school started with 450 pupils in September 1991.

The DSTY was back in Yokohama again where it is until now. It is a modern school with a modern teaching concept and the instinct for the commitment of its long history: The DSTY has always been a place of human and cultural meeting. And it wants to stay like that.

Selected content is available in English and Japanese.

© 2017 Deutsche Schule Tokyo Yokohama